Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Beauty Pageant

I had a couple of options for this week and I must say, I had a hard time picking one. However, I decided to write about someone I watched during a pageant. Yes folks, a pageant. Not your typical Miss America either. This was the first annual Native American Miss Fairfax Pageant held at the school where I teach. This young lady in particular was the winner, and while I am normally anti-pageant, I felt that this particular pageant celebrated the culture and talents of these young women far more than their looks. Therefore, my beautiful person of the week…

Dear Beautiful Pageant winner,
I am always inspired by the teenagers I meet that carry themselves the way you do. You take pride in who you are, and you allow others to see what they have to be proud of in themselves. You smile constantly. I think that is truly beautiful. You walk with a confidence and poise that makes you glow. Your kindness and generosity shine through, even when you don’t say a word. I know sometimes it is hard for you, and you are criticized because of the way you look, or your background, but you, beautiful one, shine through it all. I am very impressed by you and the beauty you emanate. I am so glad you have won this award, and I hope others will be inspired by your example. Keep your head held high, and your beauty showing.
--Me

1 comment:

  1. I finally figured out how to post here... can you tell? Anyway, I hope this pageant assists her along the way to gain confidence and your words give her strength and insight to help her recognize her beauty!

    ReplyDelete